Friday, May 17, 2013

Mountain of Righteousness



Righteous is defined by Merriam-Webster as "acting in accord with divine or moral law: free from guilt or sin." I am contemplating on this word today, as many of the books I'm reading are talking about righteousness. I used to equate righteousness with flippance, but now I'm understanding its softer meaning.

I'm pretty visual - so I picture a Mountain of Righteousnesss: that is God, morality, good, love, peace, serenity, etc. There is also a pathway to that mountain, where I am. Here's the thing: I have a choice. I can go anywhere. That's the gift of free will that God has bestowed upon me. I can actually run AWAY from the mountain if I want to. That's what I think I was doing all those years I was drinking too much, hiding, lying, deceiving, sneaking around, breaking my own rules, etc. Running away from the Mountain of Righteousness. It was too daunting. Too steep. Too extreme. Don't you know people have to train to climb that mountain? The air is too thin. People DIE on that mountain.

So yeah, I took the easy way out. A lot. But that mountain is still there. It didn't go away. It was ALWAYS there, waiting on me. Waiting on me to be ready to get closer. Investigate. To walk towards it, and eventually get to the summit.

Every morning I wake up and I have a choice to walk towards that Mountain of Rightousness or away from it. I believe that one morning I might even wake up ON the Mountain. Where God, serenity, love, morality, goodness, wisdom - all mesh together. What does that look like? It looks like greeting my kids with a smile and a hug, although its 5am. It looks like giving my loved one the benefit of the doubt and believing that they intend to do good. Its being accountable. Its even returning a phone call. Its doing something LOVING for someone and not thinking about yourself. Its taking some time out for prayer and meditation, gratitude, and reflection.

Some might call that Enlightenment or Nirvana. It doesn't matter to me. I want it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment